KeePass Password Manager: Web savvy or not, these days everyone needs passwords for various activities all over the web. Due to shortage of time or just plain laziness, it is difficult to come up with great value passwords all the time. So the result is that most of us end up using weak and easy passwords so that we don’t forget it, right? But there is a solution for this and it lies in the usage of a keepass password safe. Password managers make life easy by saving you the stress of noting down passwords for each and every website you visit.
In this article we will discuss one password manager which will take care of all the essentials that you may need from a password manager. There are a good many that are not a fan of password managers,however, because you are basically putting all your eggs in one basket. This leads to the question- do we really even need a password manager?
KeePass Password Manager Pros and Cons:
- Using a password manager makes more sense than using the lazy route and reusing the same password over and over again. Most likely people who reuse their password also have something painfully easy and obvious set as their password like a birthday or mobile number or even the numbers 12345(we can only imagine the delighted smile on the faces of hackers)
- You do not have to go through the trouble of memorizing all your passwords; the password manager does this for you.
- Whenever you login a site, the password manager operates automatically and allows you to access the site.
- All you need to remember is one password!
- A password manager itself is a password and passwords can be broken.
- If your main password is broken into, all your passwords to important information like bank detail passwords, online backing details, PayPal account information or atm access numbers will be exposed out in the open and can be misused by a hacker.
Why is it recommended to use a KeePass Password Manager?
Reused passwords can be quite risky for your online security. The last thing you want is your email id or password in the hands of an ill-intentioned hacker. As the occurrences of hacking shows no sign of decline in the recent years, it is up to use to take the necessary precautions to prevent a mishap.
For your own comfort- Instead of remembering a dozen difficult passwords and ending up forgetting them, you can just depend on a single strong password which will take care of the rest on its own. Using Keepass2android passwords managers is fairly simple as well. You just have to enter the site as usual and type the master password which will automatically allow you to enter the website.
Some other password managers similar to KeePass Password Safe are
Let us discuss the highly recommended password manager ‘Last Pass’ which you can use for storing your information in a convenient and easy to use format.
- Last pass Password Manager – One of the most popular online options that you have definitely includes Last Pass. It has received good online reviews from users as well as critics. It has almost no complaints among users and was praised for being a versatile and well balanced password manager. It has easy to use functions to allow users to store all passwords online and sync with other computers, devices or simply on the one commonly used device.
- Chrome, Internet explorer etc. all have an integrated password manager but Browser based password managers do not compare the dedicated ones like Last Pass. It is risky and not advisable as the passwords are saved in the computer in an unencrypted format. An easily accessible password defeats the entire purpose of the using a password manager in the first place. It’s like locking a door to the treasure but leaving the key in. Also, unlike Last Pass, your browsers will not allow cross platform syncing. For example, Firefox cannot sync to an iOS device.
- You have to worry less about security issues after starting the use of Last Pass. It ensures the automatic use of strong passwords and believe it or not, changes the password to a fresh one for you in case of a hackers attack! You can forget painstaking memorizing or wring it down in a notebook and later realizing you misplaced it, or worse someone else found it! These kinds of disasters can be easily prevented by leaving the work of your password security to Last Pass.
- There are useful updated features which have been recently added like- credit monitoring, secure password settings, document storage and sharing, providing the user with time to time notifications pertaining the unsculproususage or access of password from a new location(Pc or device) so in the rare case that you do get hacked, you can be informed of it immediately. Additional features also include – tools for auto filling online forms and streamline online shopping.This can even help against phishing, as they fill account information into websites based on their web address. If you are on a bank website you won’t need to enter a word. Last Pass handles the entire form on its own.
- To use its service, you have to undergo a two-step authentication using most probably Google Authenticator. Last Pass supports all major platforms like Windows, iOS, Android, Windows Phone as well as Blackberry.It can be downloaded for free for usage on any of these platforms. They also have an upgraded version which costs around $12 or Rs 800 annually.
- Dash Lane – Another popular option recognized for easy to use interface, auto login, auto form filling, and logging of purchases from online markets. It also has the feature to share passwords with emergency contacts and change many passwords within few seconds, You can also change all your passwords at once. Similar to Last Pass, Dash Lane will also inform you in case of unusual activity within your accounts.
KeePass for Android will identify and change your weak passwords and like countless worldwide users, you can rest assured that your passwords are safe in the encrypted database of KeePass.